Re: Proposal to Advance EME to Proposed Recommendation

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Chris Pearce <cpearce@mozilla.com> wrote:

> EME has multiple shipping implementations; it's time it became a standard.
> Mozilla's priority is to see EME v1 finished without needing to go back to
> CR and extend the working group charter.
>
> To that end, we'd prefer to see features without significant
> implementation experience removed from the v1 spec. So we agree with
> Netflix and support removing persistent-license and persistent-usage-record
> removed from the v1 spec. They can be punted to v2.

​Just to be clear, whilst we'd also be ok with this, it is not exactly what
I proposed.​

I do think it is hard to distinguish persistent-license and
persistent-usage-record in terms of actual implementation and deployment
experience. If anything, persistent-usage-record has more (at least I am
not aware of significant use of persistent-license in the field, but then
there is no reason that I should be).

However, persistent-license at least has an implementation that passes our
tests without help from JS. If that is part of our criteria, we could go
ahead on that basis with only persistent-usage-record deferred to v2.

...Mark