Re: EME test status

04.10.2016, 21:19, "David Singer" <singer@apple.com>:
>>  On Oct 4, 2016, at 11:59 , Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>>
>>  On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 11:31 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>>  > On Oct 4, 2016, at 11:24 , Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

>>  > It's actually not clear to me whether work on web-platform-tests falls under the HTML Media Extensions charter or some other auspice.
>>
>>  Yes, also, we can neither encourage nor discourage technical work and discussion on mailing lists, whether the charter is formally active or not.
>>
>>  Inactive charters might lead to the team deciding not to spend time with a WG that doesn’t formally exist, for example; groups out of charter would not normally be given fact-to-face time at TPAC; and so on. It’s W3C resources and actions that may be curtailed; not the activities of members.
>>
>>  ​Except that I would imagine that contributions to a specification made when a group was out-of-charter might have a different status from an IP point of view. (At least, I would assume that until someone authoritative on that topic told me otherwise).
>
> I doubt it, myself. I think if you contribute something to the W3C, you’ll have a hard time distancing yourself from that.

I suspect it is possible to mount a case in front of the good folk of Texas who inevitably seem to have to decide these things.

I'd advise you that without a strong case, I'll be down at BetOnLawyers.com putting my money against you...

> I think the team might raise eyebrows at formal steps (such as those that link to the patent policy) while out of charter.

I think if they didn't, they could expect an immediate set of nasty messages from many members of the Advisory Board. I believe we're generally in a position now where charter lapses are a question of days at most, rather than years as it was only a couple of years ago.

cheers

Chaals