From: Cory Doctorow [mailto:cory@eff.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 7:19 PM
To: 'public-html-media@w3.org' <public-html-media@w3.org>
Subject: Formal Objection to Candidate Recommendation

EFF would like to register a Formal Objection[1] to the EME Candidate Recommendation. We remain concerned that this specification poses danger to security researchers and competition, because it will allow implementers to invoke anti-circumvention laws, including the US DMCA, European laws that implement Section 6 of the EUCD, and Canada's Bill C-11. We believe that the W3C should extend its existing IPR policy on patents to cover the sui generis rights afforded under these laws, through a mutually acceptable binding agreement[2] through which participants promise not abuse anti-circumvention to suppress true facts about security defects in EME implementations nor to block new entrants who want to add otherwise legal features to EME implementations.

[1] https://www.w3.org/2015/Process-20150901/#WGArchiveMinorityViews

[2]
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/06/w3c-eme-and-eff-frequently-asked-questions