Re: Formal objection to Encrypted Media Extensions progressing to Proposed Recommendation without greater user protection

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> On 08/16/2016 07:51 PM, David Singer wrote:
> > I think you are confusing DRM and EME.  They are not the same.
>
> Actually, as pointed out by Ruben's email I just read, clearKey would
> count as DRM and be covered by the DMCA - and is part of the EME spec. I
> hadn't thought that through earlier but it's a very good point. The
> addition of clearKey would likely made EME itself covered by the DMCA.

​IANAL, but I think a case could be made that Clear Key is not an
"effective" protection measure, since the key is available, well, in the
clear. Certainly, no one would call it a "DRM".
​