Re: Formal objection to Encrypted Media Extensions progressing to Proposed Recommendation without greater user protection

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> On 08/16/2016 07:46 PM, Mark Watson wrote:

>> the user is warned, needs to be made by you/us, and not by the browser
>> maker.  You also haven’t given details of the ‘user harm’ you talk about
>> for EME itself.
>> over
>> > No, those criticisms were almost exclusively focused on the risk to
>> security researchers. Not one of the sub-headings you link to appears to
>> apply to users.  Current politics notwithstanding, repeatedly stating
>> something doesn’t intrinsically make it true.
>>
>> I don't agree.  Insofar as security researchers cannot audit the
>> security of DRM systems, then it is *users* who will face any harm due
>> to the lack of security audits. That is a unique feature of DRM that EME
>> enables. EME can also, due to clearkey, be considered a DMCA-compliant
>> system itself (i.e. clearKey's Key System is equivalent to a CDM).

>> > Users and security researchers are not the same people.
>>
>> See above.

>> > Sure, but you need to say what the *user* harm is.
>>
>> If there is a part of a browser that makes security research difficult
>> and possibly illegal,  then that part of the browser is rather
>> self-evidently dangerous to end-users.
>

> ​Unless the browser implementor takes additional measures to compensate
> for that difficulty / possible illegality.​
>

> I really do appreciate the work by this WG to compensate, but I do not
> think they are sufficient without 'off by default.' We can agree to
> disagree here, and let the WG make a decision and pass it to the Director.
> In that case, the FO still stands.
>

>> While I appreciate the effort,
>> sandboxing may help but there is no such thing as a perfect sandbox.
>>

> ​There is no such thing as a perfect security audit either. We're talking
> about different kinds of risk reduction.​
>

> Agreed. However, the DMCA provides a 'chilling effect' on security audits
> and research on DRM systems in general, regardless of the particular
> details of an audit or research.

​But there are things that can be done to compensate for the risk that any
such effects cause. Sandboxing and strict input / output validation is one
thing. Funding additional security audits could be another. Actively
encouraging independent security research into that component is another.