Re: TAG discussion of EME "secure release" topic

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I was just informed that you attended the TAG meeting today to discuss the
> EME “secure release” topic.

That is not completely accurate. I did attend part of the TAG meeting, and
secure release was discussed. However, the latter was a surprise to me and
not the reason I attended. I am providing details below to clear up any
misunderstandings.

I had previously offered to be available to answer questions about EME,
which was to be on the TAG’s agenda for Cory Doctorow’s presentation.
However, it appears there was some miscommunication because when the TAG
dialed me in, Cory had already presented and the TAG seemed to be expecting
an update on the status of EME.

That discussion led to a question about what is blocking LC. Among other
things, I mentioned that we had spent a lot of time on secure release,
which is something we would like to get input on. When I was asked to
introduce secure release, I did my best to do so on the fly and answer
subsequent questions.

To be clear, I had not previously planned to discuss this issue Monday or
to start a discussion at this point; my plan for EME issue 85
<https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/85> was always to introduce
the issue on www-tag, which I have not done yet.

As noted in the issue you linked, the TAG decided to provide feedback
regarding architecture impact, especially in comparison to <a ping> and
sendBeacon(). The exact next steps were unclear (intermittent audio issues
didn’t help). I plan to follow-up after the f2f, which is currently
occupying the TAG members. I’ll be sure to update the related EME issue 85
when I have more clarity.

David