Re: Proposal: use only github for new MSE spec bugs

On Thursday, October 15, Jerry and I went through the current set of open
MSE spec bugs on GitHub (approximately 22) and applied labels, milestone,
and assignee. The result is a rebalanced editor workload along with
preliminary expectations of what next steps are needed for each issue.

To assist similar MSE spec bug triaging in the future, as well as to help
inform potentially similar EME spec bug triaging, I have summarized the
meanings of the labels and milestone selections we applied in this round of
MSE triage.  I welcome any clarifying corrections; the purpose of this
summary is to help get everyone on the same page.

While preparing this summary, some further clarifications and actions were
discovered:

1) Generally, we should consider closing V.Next MSE issues (for now, at
least).

2) We should change the currently-labeled “needs author input” to “needs
feedback” and assign to appropriate reporter to obtain that feedback.
During triage, we misunderstood “author” to mean bug author, not web
author. We’ll also need to add a separate, new, “needs author input” label
for future usage for when we might need input from web authors.

The following is a snapshot of a section of the README.md from
https://github.com/w3c/media-source/pull/33 (GitHub will have slightly
different markdown formatting versus this email, but the content is
otherwise the same.)

== Labels ==

Each bug may have multiple labels.

“needs feedback”

The issue is pending further clarification from the assignee, likely the
original bug filer or another who reported aspects of the issue in the
bug’s history. The feedback request needs to be in a comment associated
with the addition of this label, along with a request for reassignment back
to an editor once feedback is provided.

“needs author input”

The editors are seeking input from web authors on the issue. For example,
whether a requested change is useful or how best to expose information.

“needs follow-up”

The assignee, likely an editor, needs to investigate more deeply before we
can decide if this “needs implementation” or to otherwise move forward. The
editors have discussed the issue and do not need to discuss it further
until we have the resulting follow-up from the assignee. This includes
things like determining external spec dependencies, seeking input from
other spec owners and/or WGs, confirming the understanding of the nature of
the bug, and beginning to formulate a path to a solution.

This doesn’t necessarily mean follow-up has “Started” or is “In Progress.”

“needs implementation”

The steps needed to resolve this issue are clearly understood and agreed
upon. This likely means drafting and committing a spec change, possibly via
a pull request. No further discussion is necessary at this time, though
review of the change may still be appropriate. Should that change, this
label should be removed.

For a bug to be labeled with this, it needs to be understood well enough
and in scope of the marked milestone. Otherwise, “needs follow-up” or
punting milestone might be options.

This label does not refer to user agent implementations.

“blocked”

Some external dependency or another GitHub issue identified in comment
associated with this label’s addition is (or might be) blocking progress on
this bug.

“feature request”

The issue is related to or requesting a new use case or capability not
currently (explicitly) covered by the spec. Depending on the nature and
impact of the request and the stage of the spec, it may be assigned to a
future milestone.

“interoperability”

Resolution of this issue is particularly important for interoperability
among user agents. This may include breaking API changes, issues related to
media compatibility across user agents, or ambiguous parts of the spec that
could lead to different incompatible interpretations. There may be known or
probable differing interpretations in implementations of the associated
portion of the spec. If the identified issue is not addressed, there is a
high likelihood of meaningful interoperability problems. The fix for the
issue would need to provide a clear direction to prevent differing
interpretations by user agents.

“wontfix”, “invalid”, “duplicate”

Self-explanatory :)

Issues with these labels should always be closed (unless they were
re-opened at which time an editor should probably remove these labels if
the re-opening is accepted).

== Milestones ==

“V#”: A bug in version # of the spec.

Currently, V1 is the first version of MSE (in CR in Q4 2015).

“V.Next”:

Perhaps to be addressed by some later version of the spec; not currently
expected to be in scope of specific version of the spec. Typically, this
milestone is correlated with issues labeled “feature request”. This is
equivalent to Bugzilla’s RESOLVED LATER status. As such and to keep the
issue tracker focused, issues with this milestone will generally be closed.
When work on a new version of the spec starts, the V.Next issues, including
those that are closed, should be reviewed and considered for the new
version.

(no milestone):
The issue has not been triaged or the editors are currently discussing.

--

Matt