W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-media@w3.org > March 2015

{minutes} HTML WG media telecon 2015-03-31 - EME status and bug/issue discussion, heartbeat publications, F2F meeting

From: Joe Steele <steele@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 15:57:51 +0000
To: "public-html-media@w3.org" <public-html-media@w3.org>
Message-ID: <E44658D1-4910-4BF9-B59C-52BDEBFE666E@adobe.com>
http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html>

Joe Steele

 <http://www.w3.org/>
HTML Media Task Force Teleconference

31 Mar 2015

Agenda <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Mar/0070.html>
See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-irc>
Attendees <>
Present
paulc, +1.650.458.aaaa, pal, jdsmith, +1.253.332.aabb, davide, +1.408.536.aacc, joesteele, +1.253.332.aadd, BobLund, ddorwin
Regrets
Mark, Watson, (sick)
Chair
Paul Cotton
Scribe
joesteele, Joe Steele
Contents

Topics <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#agenda>
Issue 43 - Provide guidance on object and CDM lifetime <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item01>
Issue 44 - Idea: Add opaque "label" DOMString member to MediaKeySystemConfiguration <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item02>
Issue 39 - MediaKeyStatusMap: Replace maplike with explicit methods <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item03>
Issue 40 - replace "Distinctive Identifier" with "persistent Distinctive Identifier" where "use distinctive identifier" is false <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item04>
Bug 26776 - Diagnosing and resolving CDM errors needs a numeric systemCode (deleted with MediaKeyError) <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item05>
Issue 9 - Remove note that MediaKeySession events may not be fired until the MediaKeys object is associated with a media element <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item06>
EME/MSE Heartbeats <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item07>
F2F meeting April 15/16 <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item08>
Other bugs to discuss? <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item09>
Issue 19 - Ensure promises returned by methods are fulfilled before event handlers are executed <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item10>
next meeting <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#item11>
Summary of Action Items <http://www.w3.org/2015/03/31-html-media-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
<trackbot> Date: 31 March 2015
<paulc> Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Mar/0070.html <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Mar/0070.html>
<paulc> Meeting: Media Task Force
<paulc> Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Mar/0070.html <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Mar/0070.html>
<joesteele> scribe: joesteele
<scribe> chair: paulc
<paulc> Scribe: Joe Steele
<paulc> Scirbenick: joesteele
Issue 43 - Provide guidance on object and CDM lifetime

<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/43 <https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/43>
ddorwin: nothing to talk about here -- just tracking bugzilla bugs
paulc: bugs refer in both ways
<paulc> For cross-reference: see https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24771#c6 <https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24771#c6>
Issue 44 - Idea: Add opaque "label" DOMString member to MediaKeySystemConfiguration

<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/44 <https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/44>
paulc: this says needs feedback -- can you introduce?
ddorwin: some internal conversation, folks thought it might be useful to know which configuration was selected
... string would have no meaning except that UA would ensure it was returned
paulc: any comments?
... would this be mandatory?
... defaults to empty?
ddorwin: mandatory to implement, not for apps to use
... normally apps could just do this, but becuase we return a new object its not possible for apps to just set
+1
joesteele: seems reasonable
jdsmith: think the problem is real
... think its a good idea to have this label and would simplify knowing conditions media is playing under
paulc: any disagreement?
... not hearing objections David
... mark as to be implemented
Issue 39 - MediaKeyStatusMap: Replace maplike with explicit methods

<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/39 <https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/39>
ACTION-78?
<trackbot> ACTION-78 -- Mark Watson to Look into @@iterators for issue 39 -- due 2015-03-24 -- CLOSED
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/78 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/78>
<paulc> ACTION-78 is due next week
paulc: on Mark -- should probably defer to next week
ACTION-78 due April 6
<trackbot> Set ACTION-78 Look into @@iterators for issue 39 due date to 2015-04-06.
Issue 40 - replace "Distinctive Identifier" with "persistent Distinctive Identifier" where "use distinctive identifier" is false

<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/40 <https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/40>
ACTION-81?
<trackbot> ACTION-81 -- Paul Cotton to Contact henri about issue 40 -- due 2015-03-31 -- CLOSED
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/81 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/81>
paulc: sent Henri a note but no response since yesterday -- he might be at IETF though
... not sure what else we can do
... do we need his feedback
... ?
joesteele: David's last comment is fine
paulc: I will send another note telling him we will take action if we don't hear by next week
... will add to agenda next week
Bug 26776 - Diagnosing and resolving CDM errors needs a numeric systemCode (deleted with MediaKeyError)

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26776 <https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26776>
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26776 <https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26776>
ACTION-76?
<trackbot> ACTION-76 -- Jerry Smith to Review and comment on issues 16 and 18 -- due 2015-03-10 -- CLOSED
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/76 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/76>
<paulc> ACTION-79?
<trackbot> ACTION-79 -- Jerry Smith to Draft a proposal for returning errors as per bug 26776 -- due 2015-03-30 -- OPEN
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/79 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/79>
jdsmith: talked abou this last week about adding a system code
... was some concern about it being mis-used to control app behavior
... we proposed a single attribute for system codes - most recent code
... was some discusion of a sequence of codes
... app could check for an updated value during the session
... that meets our implementation goals
<paulc> Outline is in https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26776#c28 <https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26776#c28>
jdsmith: did not draft text describing this
... but fairly self-explanatory
paulc: I assume this is as close to a proposal as we will get
... we can close action-79
<paulc> close ACTION-79
<trackbot> Closed ACTION-79.
paulc: need feedback on the outline that Jerry put in comment 28
jdsmith: a simple attribute is not as mis-usable/exploitable for the things we were concerned about
paulc: any other comments?
... do the editors think this is enough to resolve the bug?
<ddorwin> Having mic issues.
joesteele: I think this would be better than what we have I don't have a better proposal at this point
paulc: ddorwin, can you comment in the bug or in IRC?
<ddorwin> Main comment is that MKS is not strictly related to "playback activity"
paulc: do you have anything to add?
... Jerry do you have enough to complete?
jdsmith: I think so
<ddorwin> But I agree that MKS is probably where this belongs.
jdsmith: that was my conclusion
joesteele: +1 also -- we can modify as needed with implementation experience
<ddorwin> whiteboard label: to_be_implemented
paulc: how would we mark this to make sure it is ready to implement?
... got it
<scribe> ... done
Issue 9 - Remove note that MediaKeySession events may not be fired until the MediaKeys object is associated with a media element

<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/9 <https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/9>
paulc: simple status is Mark is not present and this is on his plate
... carry forward to next week
EME/MSE Heartbeats

paulc: no news as yet -- not published yet
... these should have been published today, last glitch was that web master would not publish MSE without a CR close date
... would not take the original close date which was in the past
... moving forward with proposal we made last week to handle the registries by not blocking and just pointing to the editros drafts
... should be published today
F2F meeting April 15/16

paulc: registration is up to 10-11 people
<paulc> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/html-april-2015/results <https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/html-april-2015/results>
paulc: wanted to point out that some people who have registered are more members of Accessibility TF
... 3-4 Accessibility people will be meeting at the same time and would like to talk to us about transcripts
... will we have the right people in the room to talk about this?
<paulc> ACTION-80?
<trackbot> ACTION-80 -- Paul Cotton to Organize potential f2f topics part of wiki and sent out notice asking for input from tf -- due 2015-03-31 -- OPEN
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/80 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/80>
paulc: don't have a good description of what they want to talk about yet
... one of the F2F topics will be the Accessbility bug David provided feedback on
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=27054 <https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=27054>
<paulc> See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2015Mar/0076.html <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2015Mar/0076.html>
paulc: so far folks that have reviewed it are ok with our feedback
... but want to talk to us about transcripts and making sure they are accessible
... who has not registered yet?
joesteele: would be nice to get Chris Pearce and Henri Silvonen but not yet
paulc: I will send more information next week
... I took the action to update the wiki
joesteele: I will ping Mozilla folks again on this and CC Paul
Other bugs to discuss?

<paulc> http://tinyurl.com/7tfambo <http://tinyurl.com/7tfambo> bugs
<paulc> Issues https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues <https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues>
ddorwin: no additional bugs off hand
... getting lower on github
paulc: issue 39 and 34 are marked as help wanted
ddorwin: that is for folks who want to help implementing
... we addressed the label one today
... three more about event ordering
... sorry 9 is not about event ordering -- Mark has an action there
... 14 and 19 are blocked
paulc: so it looks like we need to get 19 done and then 14 and 31 become unblocked
ddorwin: we need to add some text to github
paulc: think that it was 31 not 41 above
Issue 19 - Ensure promises returned by methods are fulfilled before event handlers are executed

<paulc> https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/19 <https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/19>
<paulc> See Chris's feedback: https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/19#issuecomment-78012864 <https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/19#issuecomment-78012864>
joesteele: I think Chris and I intended that this become unblocked and that we are in agreement with you -- let's discuss more as needed
ddorwin: just need to find time to address this
<paulc> issue 39 and 34 are marked as help wanted since they need a volunteer to implement them
next meeting

paulc: suggest we meet next week and first topic is to discuss the F2F agenda
... and then any other issues we had to skip this week
... this is to give folks 8 days to prep for the F2F
... could probably do this in half an hour
... need feedback on the agenda for next week to make that happen
... asa a reminder Mark asked to not start until after 9 on Wednesday
... thanks everyone, thanks for scribing Joe!

Summary of Action Items <>[End of minutes]
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version 1.140 (CVS log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2015/03/31 15:53:18 $


Received on Tuesday, 31 March 2015 15:58:21 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 31 March 2015 15:58:22 UTC