Re: [EME] Netflix’s secure release is unreliable without tamper-proof secure persistent storage and/or delayed shutdown

Hi David,

Thanks for this detailed response. There is one significant mis-conception
below, which I will address in a moment, but I believe the heart of the
issue here is what constitutes "delayed shutdown".

I had previously asked that you provide a definition of this concern. I
didn't get one, so I proposed my own: that it was unacceptable for any
mechanism to be based on pages reliably receiving and processing onclose,
onbeforeclose, keymessage or similar events at page close i.e. that the
*page* can delay shutdown. There was no dissent to this definition and the
secure release mechanism as proposed is consistent with this.

You are correct that two possible implementations of this mechanism are
either a form of secure persistent store or having the CDM write data to
disk at page close. The latter seems to be a concern for you but it is not
a concern for the other desktop browsers, as far as I know. So, I suggest
this is a Chrome-specific software architecture issue. It is certainly a
*new* and *different* issue from the one of *pages delaying shutdown*. This
is not to dismiss it, but we should be clear about the nature of the
concern.

You are correct that at attacker can cause secure release information to be
not reported to the server. This is true with or without secure persistent
store, since an attacker can simply interpose on the EME API and drop the
key release messages. This does not impact the effectiveness of the
mechanism, provided:
(1) it is not possible for an attacker to generate incorrect usage reports
(2) the frequency of (non-attack-related) missing reports is low

The mis-conception in your note is that "*even a significant lack of usage
data could be legitimate*". It is necessary that usage data is reasonably
reliable in the normal case and this can be achieved by the CDM writing to
disk on page close. It is true that there are unavoidable scenarios in
which the information is lost: browser crash or sudden loss of power but
these are rare enough that the normal case is easy to distinguish from the
suspicious case.

Regarding your conclusions:

"*Without a tamper-proof secure persistent storage available to every
implementor across every web platform client, secure release is ineffective
as a fraud detection (and prevention) mechanism, especially for general
use, which is the purpose of web specs.*"

This is incorrect: tamper-proof secure persistent store is not necessary
and there exist several implementations which prove this.

"*The alternative requires implementations to delay shutdown to ensure
playback data is written to storage and that applications implement
extensive and complex server analyses to prevent false positives.*"

There is no requirement for delayed shutdown in the sense we have discussed
before (*pages* delaying shutdown). The server analysis is relatively
simple provided the frequency of (non-attack) missing reports is low. The
existing implementations show this is achievable in practice.

"*Content providers can achieve equivalent levels of detection and
*better*** enforcement
using a relaxed renewal/heartbeat configuration without significant impact
on server load or user experience.*"

I'd be interested to hear more about this. We have not identified any such
solutions which don't either impact user experience or involve signifiant
system re-engineering of much greater complexity than the proposed client
mechanism.

"*The advantages of simpler mechanisms to users, applications, and
implementers are clear*"

I think we can agree on that ;-) The problem is that we do not agree which
mechanism is simpler, considering the whole system. We believe that
unnecessary real-time dependencies in distributed systems represent
significant complexity and are always to be avoided. In this case the
proposed dependency is dis-proportionate for a presently theoretical attack.

...Mark