Re: Custom and extending CDM to support other DRM systems

Mark,

Le 30/01/2015 16:59, Mark Watson a écrit :

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 7:53 AM, Emmanuel Poitier
> <emmanuel.poitier@enman.fr <mailto:emmanuel.poitier@enman.fr>> wrote:
>
>     Matt,
>
>     Le 30/01/2015 16:14, Mark Watson a écrit :
>>

>>     On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com
>>     <mailto:glenn@skynav.com>> wrote:
>>

>>         On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Emmanuel Poitier
>>         <emmanuel.poitier@enman.fr
>>         <mailto:emmanuel.poitier@enman.fr>> wrote:
>>
>>             All,
>>
>>             I am currently looking after the information on how to
>>             extend the CDM to support other DRM systems, which is
>>             nowadays fixed and hardcoded for each browsers (IE with
>>             PlayReady, Chrome with Widevine, Safari with FairPlay).
>>             It would be nice to ensure the EME spec does provide
>>             information and also how browsers would support that in
>>             an agnostic manner to ensure a non fragmented market
>>             where the user does want to play a protected video
>>             content whatever the browser he is using.
>>

>>         I doubt if anything has changed on this front, but this type
>>         of specification was ruled out of scope for EME. EME uses the
>>         term and concept "CDM" only in a notional manner, and does
>>         not specify any concrete interface to such a component.
>>
>>         It is likely that interface and any mechanism for
>>         adding/extending UA supplied CDMs will remain UA specific,
>>         that is, until some organization steps forward to standardize
>>         it (assuming UA vendors are willing to do that... a dubitable
>>         proposition).
>>

>>     ​Yes, such an API is not really in scope of W3C, never mind just
>>     EME. Just as NPAPI for <object> was created by UA vendors any
>>     such cross-browser CDM API would need to come from the UA ​
>>     vendors. Of course, the open source implementations of EME have
>>     CDM APIs in their code, but a major point of EME was to bring DRM
>>     under UA control, so I would not expect UAs ever to support
>>     download of arbitrary user-installable CDMs - at least it's not
>>     clear to me how this could be done and simultaneously meet the
>>     privacy and security requirements of the specification. Whilst
>>     UAs can technically enforce many security and privacy properties
>>     through sandboxing I'm not sure they will be willing to host CDMs
>>     about which they have no knowledge whatsoever.
>>
>>     …Mark
>
>     I can understand this point, though a service provider protecting
>     their content will evaluate DRM systems based on the UA CDM DRM
>     support before using EME which is at the moment quite split across
>     browsers. Thanks anyway for your view on this issue.
>

> ​What's your alternative and how does it address the security and
> privacy issues ?​
>
> …Mark

I would see a separate working group who will be in charge of offering a
CDM description with security analysis based on the data flow
interfacing with the CDM. It may be a consortium composed of all or the
most used DRM providers to design a such component, so they would have a
complete knowledge and the necessary technical constraints to ensure the
required level of security delivered by the CDM component within the EME
feature. It does definitely require a collaborative work to assure
content protection and the legitimate use of protected content in a
generic manner to let users choose their preferred way to use them.

>     Best regards,
>     --
>     Emmanuel Poitier- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
>     Enman
>
>     Telephone:+33 (0)2 54 67 15 38
>     <tel:%2B33%20%280%292%2054%2067%2015%2038>
>      Mobile:+33 (0)780 381 124
>     Email:emmanuel.poitier@enman.fr <mailto:emmanuel.poitier@enman.fr>
>      Web site:http://enman.fr

Best regards,