Re: Resolving issues around avoiding key requests

All,

I agree with Mark W, Joe and Jerry on issue 52, especially the point already raised about opaque InitData always assumed in the development of the EME spec and that that is consistent with CENC. Absent a compelling, specific scenario that breaks interoperability we should remove the constraint.

Bob

From: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com<mailto:watsonm@netflix.com>>
Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 5:19 PM
To: "Jerry Smith (IEP)" <jdsmith@microsoft.com<mailto:jdsmith@microsoft.com>>
Cc: David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com<mailto:ddorwin@google.com>>, Joe Steele <steele@adobe.com<mailto:steele@adobe.com>>, "<public-html-media@w3. org>" <public-html-media@w3.org<mailto:public-html-media@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Resolving issues around avoiding key requests

All,

I agree with Joe and Jerry.

Regarding Issue 52: it has always been assumed that the initData is opaque, that the CDM uses information in the initData to construct a key request and that the server uses that information to construct a response containing the content key. Any mechanism that adheres to that model should be allowed. Clearly, we all expect the opaque portion of the initData to contain information that identifies the content key. Whether that information is in the form of a key id or the key itself seems irrelevant to the specification and to interoperability. Is it allowed for the initData to contain a partial key and then an id for the remainder ? If it contains one bit of the key and an id for the remainder is it ok ? If it contains 127 bits of the key and an identifier for the last bit of the key is that ok ? In neither case does the initData contain a "key". What huge problem does that one additional bit of the key cause ?

I also agree with Joes description of the way this change was introduced without discussion: I think the onus should be on David to describe a problematic scenario that this prohibition on keys in initData precludes before we introduce that prohibition. In the meantime the prohibition should be removed.

Regarding Issue 41: our model for key exchange messages is that the number of exchanges needed, and their timing, is up to the CDM. CDMs may need more than one request / response exchange in order to establish the keys. They may initiate additional exchanges at any time (e.g. for license renewal). It seems consistent and unproblematic from an interop pov if the number of exchanges is zero. It has always been possible that the CDM has other information (from the initData, from other message exchanges) which mean there is no exchange necessary. Perhaps the beginning of the content - unbeknownst to the application - is not encrypted and the CDM learns this from the initData. It seems arbitrary to require the number of message exchanges at session start to be non-zero.

Regarding Issue 53: it's not clear to me that changes to the specification are required to enable this, though I agree it warrants discussion. Certainly I don't see any reason why this issue should block either 52 or 41, which stand on their own. There is nothing in the specification preventing key exchanges from delivering CDM-specific information to the CDM that has a scope greater than the session in which it is delivered. Such information would not be deleted when the session is closed and could be used by other sessions. Again, the model is that the CDM executes as many message exchanges as it needs (zero or more) whenever it needs to and signals the status with respect to content keys to the application via KeyStatus.

...Mark