RE: Secure release and persistence

In fact, I wasn’t referring to different types of keys, only tracking the use of individual keys.  At least one exploit we’ve discussed is an organized attempt to represent multiple users as one, and many concurrent sessions as play starts that weren’t continued.  Each playback would have at least one key associated with it, and the start and latest encryption markers that Mark proposed would let a service track how long each one was used.  That would allow the service to identify organized exploits and manage them.

Jerry

From: Mark Watson [mailto:watsonm@netflix.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 9:36 AM
To: David Dorwin
Cc: Jerry Smith (WINDOWS); public-html-media@w3.org
Subject: Re: Secure release and persistence

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:22 AM, David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com<mailto:ddorwin@google.com>> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Jerry Smith (WINDOWS) <jdsmith@microsoft.com<mailto:jdsmith@microsoft.com>> wrote:
This makes sense to me, Mark.  You are looking for markers to bound the usage of keys so that keys used for extended playback can be distinguished from keys used to start, but not watch content.  Persisting first and latest decrypt times accomplishes this.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with these two types of keys, but I don't think Mark has mentioned anything about different types of keys. As far as I know, the Netflix use case is for a single key used for the entire duration of the content. Clearly, there is still a lot of confusion (on one or both of our parts) about what exactly this feature is and what it is used for.

​I didn't sense any confusion in Jerry's mail. I think this comment is a little self-serving. He is right that the secure release information can give us reliable information about how long each key is used for. There are no different "kinds" of keys, but there can be multiple licenses involved in a session.​

...Mark

Jerry