Streaming with Media Source

From: Aymeric Vitte <vitteaymeric@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 12:22:32 +0100
To: public-html-media@w3.org
CC: acolwell@chromium.org
Hi,

For [1] I have started to implement Streaming for audio and video using
the Media Source API, the app is retrieving chunks and is appending them
to the "source" of audio/video tags.

This was supposed to be simple but it is not, the API (or at least the
Chrome implementation) seems to handle only adaptive rate/manifest
structures both for mp4 and webm, it's unclear if the audio tag is
supported.

I am not an expert in video/audio format but I don't see very well
what's the issue to append chunks to a destination, or to turn it into a
stream (since I am participating to the Streams API, I know it's not
there yet) outside of other interfaces such as WebRTC.

For the final phase of the project, WebRTC will be used but with
DataChannels, so the issue remains.

I have looked in all existing APIs and unless I am missing something, I
still don't see how to achieve this simple thing, how can it be done?

Regards,

Aymeric

[1] http://www.peersm.com

--