Re: [EME] Uint8Array parameters may be modified while scheduled task is pending

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 13:35:13 +0200
To: David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com>
Cc: "public-html-media@w3.org" <public-html-media@w3.org>, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 12:16 AM, David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com> wrote:
> I believe there is a similar issue with MSE, and it was decided that such
> behavior is undefined.

Seems like a bad way to deal with this.

> Does anyone object to the behavior also being
> undefined for EME?

I object to both MSE and EME introducing a race condition like that.
IIRC, this issue already came up with Web Audio. CCing roc for the
details.

I think the method should act as if it made a copy of the data before
returning. In practice, it probably makes sense to have some sort of
copy-on-write mechanism behind the scenes to avoid copying when no one
is actually writing to the original buffer.

> Do we need to explicitly document this anywhere?

Yes!

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi