Re: EME: Rendering behavior undefined

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:07 AM, Hans Schmucker
<hansschmucker@gmail.com> wrote:
> So now, the first order of business is making sure that the EME spec does
> not say anything about it, unlike what it currently does in the introduction
> and 2.3.

Hmm. The draft has two sections 2.3. I take it that you mean the
latter one of them.

Do you object only to "Where media rendering is not performed by the
UA, for example in the case of a hardware protected media pipeline,
then the full set of HTML rendering capabilities, for example CSS
Transforms, may not be available. One likely restriction is that video
media may be constrained to appear only in rectangular regions with
sides parallel to the edges of the window and with normal
orientation."?

Or do you also object to: "Media data processed by a CDM may not be
available through Javascript APIs in the usual way (for example using
the CanvasRenderingContext2D drawImage() method and the AudioContext
MediaElementAudioSourceNode). This specification does not define
conditions for such non-availability of media data, however, if media
data is not available to Javascript APIs then these APIs may behave as
if no media data was present at all."?

Question to the editors: Why is the last part I quoted saying "may" in
the last sentence instead of "must" and why is it marked
non-normative?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi