Re: [MSE] F2F discussion items

On Apr 29, 2014, at 9:48 , Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
>> But on the mpeg list there was exactly the opposite suggestion,
>> that there be only one box.
>
> Which MPEG list?

The MP4 file format discussion list.

>> That’s inappropriate, I think.  And strange.
>
> Uh. Ok. Why?

"name is a null-terminated string in UTF-8 characters which gives a human-readable name for the track type (for debugging and inspection purposes). “

It explains the type of track.  Typical common practice is to put in a string from the spec.:

‘vide’   Video track
‘soun’   Audio track
‘hint’      Hint track
‘meta’      Timed Metadata track
‘auxv’      Auxiliary Video track
‘text’      Timed text track
‘subt’      Subtitle track

Something for ‘debugging and inspection’ is quite unsuitable for being both syntax-constrained and constrained to a fixed vocabulary.