Re: CfC: to publish a Encrypted Media Exstensions" hearbeat Working Draft

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Mhyst <mhysterio@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jet another objection:
>
> Under the "goals" section there is another line wich worries me.
>
> "The user agent should not select among content decryption and
> protection options. The application should make this decision."
>

> I think here "user agent" has a "user" part, so you deny the user to
> have knowledge about the method being used to "protect" the content?
> If I ever were to use this EME, I'd like to know about binary files
> (CDM) being downloaded and executed on my computer.
> So this is unacceptable either.

This comment is based on a mis-understanding. Please raise a bug if you
think the specification requires clarification.

It is absolutely not intended that EME applications cause new code to be
downloaded to the user's computer. In fact one of the main motivations for
the work is to *avoid* an install step.

The sentence quoted is intended to mean that if a User Agent supports
multiple keysystems then the application should be able to choose from
amongst these already installed systems. Users can, of course,
enable/disable/uninstall keysystems, if such capabilities are offered by
the User Agent. So, that is, the application may choose from amongst the
keysystems that the user / user agent offers.

...Mark