Re: ACTION-40: Propose text for bug 17202 to propose how to share keys without leakage of information

You are correct, if the CDM is asked about a key it already has it could respond that way. But that would be bad.
Let me recap the arguments so far —

Why not just share the key between sessions?
This would leak information about the content that the user is watching. If I want to know whether the user has watched a particular encrypted video I can extract the initData from that video and call createSession from within my site. Then if a needKey event is not fired, I can infer that the user has watched or is watching that video. In this scenario, I don’t want to share the key between CDM sessions unless I know there is a trust relationship between those players (e.g. they are in the same network). If there is a trust relationship the players can already share information via other means, so I am not revealing anything new about the user.

Why doesn’t the CDM have enough information to enforce this itself?
When the CDM session is established, it is only guaranteed to have the initData which is content specific, not player-specific. Currently the CDM is not required to be informed of the player or origin for which this key is needed. The player may be able to pass this in (depending on the resolution of bug#17660) but currently it is unclear.

Why should the UA be the one to provide the information?
The UA has information about the CORS headers for the player origin. This establishes a one-way trust relationship with other origins. This relationship could be extended to keys. The player could also provide this information by including it with the initData, assuming that is allowed. Or the CDM could request this information via a keyRequest event. The former approach could make the player more CDM-specific, and the latter approach would either make the player more CDM-specific or introduce an additional network call. Since the UA already has this information, it seems like a more efficient approach to simply provide it to the CDM.

Why was the bug resolved the way it was?
As David pointed out, the cross-origin sharing of keys is an edge case today that we don’t have much evidence to support. Since there are work-arounds (albeit less efficient/desirable ones) and there is now an acknowledgment that keys may be shared (https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html#privacy), CDM implementors can leverage the workarounds if needed to support players.

Joe Steele
steele@adobe.com