RE: Formal Objection to Working Group Decision to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Thu, 30 May 2013, John Foliot wrote:

> <non-technical post, with apologies>
>
> Your stated reasoning appears to be that if you are "successful" you will
> have somehow stopped Digital Rights Management from being used on the web,
> or being supported by commercial browsers developed by privately held
> commercial companies today. The Web "MUST REMAIN FREE!!!" you rally. As an
> analogy, I see this as akin to stating that you support freedom of religion
> as long as that religion is based upon a form of Christianity - anyone who
> deviates from that myopic perspective is "wrong", misguided, or simply
> "greedy".

I don't think anyone has suggested that stopping the EME proposal (or
whatever exactly it technically is at this point) will stop DRM on the
web.  That is an pretty serious mischaracterization of the positions of
the people who do not agree with it.  Speaking largely for myself, I  don't
like the idea of the w3c endorsing such a think and I disapprove of DRM on
a variety of grounds, but I don't believe stopping this proposal will
magically make DRM go away.  So I don't appreciate you suggesting such
ignorance or magical thinking on "our side" (and I also hate this seems to
turn into and our side vs. their side argument).  I know that I have not
suggested such things about you or anyone else who is in favor of EME.

John

John C. Vernaleo, Ph.D.
www.netpurgatory.com
john@netpurgatory.com