Re: EME compatibility with existing DRM systems

On May 7, 2013, at 7:16 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> Gilles,
>
> The design of EME is that CDMs do not interact directly with content license servers*, but instead the license acquisition process is mediated by the application.
>
> It's hard for the specification to *prohibit* such direct interaction, but you would likely find that a KeySystem that subverted the design approach would not be usable with most EME applications.
>
> The reason for this design is to avoid the need for service providers - who must in practice support multiple DRM systems - to stand up multiple front-end license servers. Also it avoids the need to delegate application business logic such as user authentication and authorization to multiple DRM servers. These functions are properly handled by the application and the license server is used as a back-end server to provide licenses as required by the application.
>
> As a result, existing DRM client components will likely need to be wrapped in some way to form an EME CDM. In the case of Marlin that you describe below it looks like you need to sign and encrypt the messages using the credentials you would otherwise use for securing the TLS connection.

That's understood. But doing that would defeat the purpose of the design of the Marlin MS3 protocol and its performance characteristics.
One of they key reasons why MS3 works over TLS the way it does is that it allows service providers to leverage existing software and hardware infrastructure to scale the DRM processing: TLS is a well known protocol, which has become a commodity. By choosing to leverage TLS as an authenticated, encrypted channel, service providers can delegate the crypto processing to off-the-shelf hardware and software solutions that implement plain-old TLS.
When using a model where message signing and encryption is done at a different layer (which, by the way, is done for other Marlin protocols, such as Marlin BB), all that off-the-shelf-ness goes out the window, and you're back to needing vendor-specific server software to implement the crypto processing of the messages.
It would be a huge step backward if using EME meant not being able to take advantage of web-standard protocols like TLS. That would seem to be going in the exact opposite direction from what organizations like W3C usually strive for: more common standards, less vendor-specific technology.