Re: how does EME/DRM effect captioning

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:26:08 +0200
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html-media@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
(Moving from public-html to public-html-media.)

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> I expect that CDM providers will be aware of these requirements and work
> with UA vendors to ensure that external requirements on accessibility are
> met.

Surely in the Web case the regulatory requirements apply to content
providers. Surely there is no regulatory requirement that the captions
be DRMed. Also, it doesn't make sense that the content provider could
throw anything at the browser and the browser would be responsible by
regulation for rendering captions delivered in an unfavorable way.

If CDMs and browsers don't support DRMed captions (my reading of the
Chromium source code suggests that Chrome with Widevine doesn't and to
me that looks like a very reasonable decision), the way content
providers can meet the regulatory requirements is that they provide a
non-DRMed WebVTT captions to be rendered by the browser without the
involvement of the CDM.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi