Re: DRM nonsense

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

> 3) I'm sure you're aware that what you're essentially describing is
> polymorphic-DRM, something of which I know that Packet Video is
> in possession of several key patents. Seeing as packet video is struggling
> with cash flow, likelihood of getting sued nearly 100%.

I'm refering to this patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US5636276
It is basically covering the idea of implementing a generic DRM runtime
used to run your favorite DRM scheme by delivering the encrypted content,
with several layers of decryption keys and the code to execute the scheme.
It's generally known as "polymorphic-DRM" scheme. There are probably other
companies which have patented such "meta-drm" systems as well.

Now if this standard and implementations of it violate that patent, that's
up to the courts and lawyers. It was "invented" by Rolf Brugger,
transferred ownership to Secure Digital Container AG, which was bought by
Packet Video. However if found to be in violation, anybody who standardizes
polymorphic-DRMs, implements them and uses them would probably be liable.