Re: {minutes} HTML WG media telecon 2013-08-06 - EME status and bug discussion

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>
>> If you would like to propose an alternative resolution including explicit
>> spec language, then please do so in order for the TF to consider the
>> alternative proposed resolutions.
>>

> I'm happy to do that, but first I'd like to hear that *some* incarnation
> of my proposal would be acceptable, so that I'm not jumping onto a
> treadmill.

Cox could accept a registry provided that it permits the registration of
key systems according to the following policies (as well as others if
desired) as defined by [1]:

   - Private Use
   - Experimental Use
   - First Come First Served

Since EME already calls for use of a reversed DNS name as a key system
name, any use of these policies must already satisfy the Hierarchical
Allocation policy [1], which ensures non-collision of key system names.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5226#section-4.1

Cox will oppose any registry that mandates that all entries satisfy a
Specification Required or Expert Review policy (or equivalent); however, we
wouldn't oppose using language that "recommends" citing a public
specification.

G.