Re: Chromebook DRM specification

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>
>> We are defining an extension point that is in some way like <object> but
>> with greatly restricted functionality and with the expectation that
>> browsers control and curate the extensions they support. These extensions
>> may implement DRM, but we are not proposing to standardize a complete DRM
>> solution.
>>
> You are defining an extension point, that nobody can extend because the
> extension activation is selective (by UA vendor), and the only example of
> an extension in the wild is not independently implementable (Widevine)
> which incidentially belongs to Google, who is also promoting the
> standardization effort, to what amounts in practise to a licensing scheme
> for their own pockets. It should be self evident that this is isn't going
> to foster compatibility going forward once other players start doing the
> same.

You seem overly fond of sweeping generalizations like:

   - nobody can extend
   - cannot be independently implemented
   - no path to an implementation

Why do I get the strong sense that you haven't tried doing any of these
things? Also, why do you keep using the term "HTML-DRM" when you know very
well that there is no such a thing?