W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-media@w3.org > September 2012

RE: {minutes} HTML WG media telecon 2012-09-04 - EME action items, new and existing bugs

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 15:46:11 +0000
To: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "public-html-media@w3.org" <public-html-media@w3.org>
Message-ID: <1467bd21697d4c6288a16ba069683660@BLUPR03MB589.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>
Minutes -> http://www.w3.org/2012/09/04-html-media-minutes.html

- DRAFT -

HTML Media Task Force Teleconference

04 Sep 2012

 Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
  +1.760.591.aaaa, +1.650.458.aabb, adrianba, Matt, pal, pladd, paulc, +1.415.867.aacc, +1.925.984.aadd, joesteele, +1.425.202.aaee, +1.303.661.aaff, Clarke, ddorwin, markw, Mark_Vickers, BobLund, +1.858.677.aagg
Regrets
Chair
  Paul Cotton
Scribe
  Adrian Bateman

Contents

Topics
1.Roll call, introductions and selection of scribe
2.Previous meeting minutes
3.Baseline documents and Bugzilla information
4.Action from the previous meeting
5.Encrypted media extension bugs with dispositions
6.Unresolved Encrypted media extension bugs
7.Other Business
8.Chair and Scribe for next meeting
9.Adjournment

Summary of Action Items

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Roll call, introductions and selection of scribe

paulc: done

Previous meeting minutes

http://www.w3.org/2012/08/21-html-media-minutes.html

paulc: no comments on the minutes

Review of action items

paulc: all action items are on the agenda

Baseline documents and Bugzilla information

paulc: most recent version is dated September 1

 http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html

<paulc> agenda for today:  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2012Sep/0000.html

<scribe> Agenda:  http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html

<scribe> Agenda:  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2012Sep/0000.html

Action from the previous meeting

ACTION-2?

<trackbot> ACTION-2 -- Mark Watson to propose a resolution to bug 17673 -- due 2012-08-17 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/2

paulc: mark pointed out that he'd done the action but the bug is not resolved

johnsim: adrian and i discussed this - we need to propose text for this

paulc: this bug is assigned to you

markw: a solution is proposed but we have to agree on the solution to resolve the bug

paulc: there are a fair number of bugs that have been assigned
 ... should i have an action for john to propose text

adrianba: the editors looked at all the bugs and tried to assign them to the person for the next action
 ... for some of them it is to write text into the spec for some it is to make progress on the list

paulc: 17673 is for johnsim to propose text

ACTION-3?

<trackbot> ACTION-3 -- Adrian Bateman to propose resolution to bug 17682 -- due 2012-08-31 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/3

paulc: the deadline was last week - has this been done?

johnsim: yes, this is assigned to me

paulc: johnsim, can you give us a due date?

johnsim: by the 11th

ACTION-3 due sep 11

<trackbot> ACTION-3 Propose resolution to bug 17682 due date now sep 11

<ddorwin> re: ACTION-4, the WebM team is refining some things related to encryption. I will add text once that is done. I expect that to be complete by the 18th.

ACTION-4?

<trackbot> ACTION-4 -- David Dorwin to propose a solution for bug 17672 -- due 2012-09-04 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/4

paulc: this one is on david and due date extended to today

<paulc> Proposal is in https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17672#c3

<ddorwin> see above

<ddorwin> repeating: re: ACTION-4, the WebM team is refining some things related to encryption. I will add text once that is done. I expect that to be complete by the 18th.

ACTION-4 due sep 18

<trackbot> ACTION-4 Propose a solution for bug 17672 due date now sep 18

ACTION-5?

<trackbot> ACTION-5 -- Mark Watson to follow-up on Key Release mail thread now that the OO changes have been made - discuss on next call -- due 2012-08-28 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/5

<paulc> Mark proposal in:  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2012Sep/0003.html

paulc: this is the proposal provided by mark watson
 ... this action is done and we have a mail thread

close ACTION-5

<trackbot> ACTION-5 Follow-up on Key Release mail thread now that the OO changes have been made - discuss on next call closed

Encrypted media extension bugs with dispositions

paulc: there are 12 bugs here
 ... some are resolved fix, worksforme and a bunch won't fix and later
 ... these bugs have all been updated in bugzilla
 ... so anyone who added themselves to the cc list would have seen the dispositions
 ... we could note these in the minutes and say that if they have any difficulties they should respond in bugzilla
 ... bug 16748

was resolved needsinfo - we could discuss that one

pladd: i submitted that one and will respond in bugzilla
 ... i'm just requested a clarification - if the authors don't think it's useful i'm okay with that

paulc: it would be good to acknowledge that

pladd: will do

paulc: there are a couple that were resolved LATER - this means there will be no changes here
 ... i'm not hearing any calls to discuss any so i'm going to move on

Unresolved Encrypted media extension bugs

Outstanding bugs -> http://tinyurl.com/7tfambo

paulc: all the bugs are assigned to somebody

<joesteele> +joesteele

<joesteele> +q

adrianba: we think this list is actionable
 ... action is to either write spec text or raise a mailing list discussion

paulc: did you give yourselves a deadline

adrianba: we didn't set a specific deadline but hoping to make enough progress by the next call to be able to review changes

paulc: and be able to create another agenda item like agenda 6 today

joesteele: is there a way to view the closed bugs?

paulc: the media email list is set-up in the same way the html-wg list is
 ... bugzilla sends new bugs to the mailing list
 ... each time someone creates a new bug, an email is sent to the list
 ... anytime anyone changes a bug there is an email sent but not to public-html-media
 ... to avoid the mailing list drowning in every update
 ... so any time you see a new message that you're interested in, click on the bug and add yourself to the cc list for the bug

<ddorwin> @joesteele: Choose "Edit Search" to pick all Resolution status.

paulc: then if anyone makes a change, you'll see the email
 ... to answer the question, if you click on the link to the list of bugs
 ... at the bottom, there is a link to Edit Search

<markw> Is it public-html-wg-issue-tracking@w3.org ?

paulc: click on that and you can see the search form and the status field - you probably also want to select RESOLVED, VERIFIED, and CLOSED

<joesteele> thanks -- that was the answer I was looking for

paulc: then you'll see the closed bugs

<Clarke> Bob your not muted

joesteele: if there is a bug resolved but i have a comment because i wasn't here should i file a new bug

paulc: do you have one in mind?

joesteele: 16552

paulc: this is resolved, won't fix - if you have a problem with that, you can add a comment and change the status field to REOPENED
 ... you should also send an explanation of why you're reopening the bug to the mailing list
 ... people need to use this agenda to go back and look at the resolved bugs and see if there are any they don't agree with or just need a confirmation that the solution is okay

Other Business

paulc: none heard

Chair and Scribe for next meeting

paulc: i'll be able to chair - volunteers for scribe for sep 18?

joesteele: i will do that

Adjournment

paulc: we're adjourned - will give time back to the editors to resolve more bugs

Summary of Action Items
[End of minutes]

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Cotton [mailto:Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com] 
Sent: 02 September 2012 11:00
To: public-html-media@w3.org
Subject: {agenda} HTML WG media telecon 2012-09-04 - EME action items, new and existing bugs

The HTML WG media teleconference meeting will occur on 2012-09-04 for up to 60 minutes from 15:00Z to 16:00Z.

http://timeanddate.com/s/29hd

Tokyo midnight, Amsterdam/Oslo 17:00, London/Dublin 16:00, New Jersey/York 11:00, Kansas City 10:00, Seattle/San Francisco 08:00.

Chair of the meeting: Paul Cotton
Scribe: Joe Steele

(See the end of this email for dial-in and IRC info.)

== Agenda ==

1. Roll call, introductions and selection of scribe

2. Previous meeting minutes
http://www.w3.org/2012/08/21-html-media-minutes.html

3. Review of action items
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/
Status:  All open action items are later on the agenda.

4. Baseline documents and Bugzilla information

a) Encrypted Media Extensions editor's draft: 
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html
Status:  On Sep 1 this draft said it was a "work in progress"

b) Encrypted Media bugs: 
http://tinyurl.com/7tfambo  
Status on Sep 2: 18 bugs found.

5.  Action from the previous meeting

a) ACTION-2: Propose a resolution to bug 17673 (Mark W) due Aug 17
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/2 
[Bug 17673] New: Define Initialization Data for implementations that choose to support the ISO Base Media File Format
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17673
Status: The action is closed but the bug is not yet marked as RESOLVED.  See Mark's email:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2012Aug/0046.html 

b) ACTION-3: Propose resolution to bug 17682 (Adrian B) due Aug 31
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/3  
[Bug 17682] New: Clear Key: Document how keys and key IDs are associated
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17682
Status: Discussed in depth at Aug 21 meeting and Due Date extended to Aug 31

c) ACTION-4: Propose a solution for bug 17672 (David D) due Sep 4
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/4
[Bug 17672] New: Define Initialization Data for implementations that choose to support the WebM Container
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17672  
Status: Due Date extended to Sep 4 at Aug 21 meeting.
 
d) ACTION-5: Follow-up on Key Release mail thread now that the OO changes have been made - discuss on next call due Aug 28
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/5 
Re: [EME] Key Release
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2012Jul/0070.html

6. Encrypted media extension bugs with dispositions
Status:  Dispositions below provided by Editors as promised at Aug 21 meeting.  
We will touch on these and only discuss those where there is objection/questions about the disposition.

a) Bug 17286 - Add event handler attributes to IDL
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17286
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Added onneedkey EventHandler and updated the IDL syntax.

b) Bug 16542 - Clarify abstract about "No 'DRM' is added"
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16542 
Status: RESOLVED FIXED 
Updated abstract with clarifications.

c) Bug 16552 - Consider making needkey a simple event 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16552 
Status: RESOLVED WONTFIX
New object oriented design eliminates this possibility

d) Bug 17470 - Provide specific guidance on when generateKeyRequest should be called
 https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17470
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Believe sufficient information in the current draft

e) Bug 17658 - need procedure for selection of Key System 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17658
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME 
The design of the system if that the application knows the key systems
it supports and tries each in turn in the order of preference for the application.
Since we expect the number of supported systems to be small, we believe this is the
correct design.

f) Bug 17676 - needkey for all keys relative with a media file
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17676 
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME 
The design of the API doesn't require knowledge about the number of
keys to be exposed to JavaScript. A MediaKeySession object represents a set of
messages between the application and a license service and the data may contain
information for one or more keys.

g) Bug 17729 - suggest needKey report codecs+key system supported by the UA 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17729
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME - canPlayType is expected to work the current way. See also bug 17658.

h) Bug 16611 - Are reverse domain names sufficient for capability detection ? 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16611 
Status: RESOLVED WONTFIX
We're proposing to keep the key system strings limited to just describing the
CDM with optional versioning (see bug 16540). We should investigate a separate
capability detection system.

i) Bug 16615 - Support sharing of keys across media elements slaved to a MediaController 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16615 
Status: RESOLVED LATER 
We feel that adding support for MediaController is premature. We should make
sure we have the right design for HTMLMediaElement before we return to review how to
apply that design to MediaController.

j) Bug 17202 - Explicitly document how keys are to be shared 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17202 
Status: RESOLVED LATER 
See bug 16615. We want to delay considering MediaController.

k) Bug 16748 - Clarification of the "Process key" step, as well as xmlhttp.response handling.
 https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16748
Status: RESOVLED NEEDSINFO
We didn't really understand the purpose of this request. The encoding of
key exchange messages is CDM specific and may be encrypted, which would mean double
encryption if transported over HTTPS. However, we feel that follows from the design
and it's not clear to us what affect that has on the spec or why it should be mentioned.

l) Bug 16547 - Is there a use case for explicitly releasing keys? 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16547 
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
The current design includes MediaKeySession.close(), which supports this.

7. Unresolved Encrypted media extension bugs
http://tinyurl.com/7tfambo   
Status: Most of these bugs have been assigned to an Editor to draft a disposition or proposal for each bug.

8. Other Business

9. Chair and Scribe for next meeting

10. Adjournment

== Dial-in and IRC Details ==

Zakim teleconference bridge:
   +1.617.761.6200, conference 63342 ("media")
https://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar#s_5366

Supplementary IRC chat (logged):
   #html-media on irc.w3.org port 6665 or port 80


Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329
Received on Tuesday, 4 September 2012 15:47:35 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 4 September 2012 15:47:36 GMT