W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-media@w3.org > September 2012

{agenda} HTML WG media telecon 2012-09-04 - EME action items, new and existing bugs

From: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 17:59:43 +0000
To: "public-html-media@w3.org" <public-html-media@w3.org>
Message-ID: <AB5704B0EEC35B4691114DC04366B37F16241D3A@TK5EX14MBXC290.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
The HTML WG media teleconference meeting will occur on 2012-09-04 for up to 60 minutes from 15:00Z to 16:00Z.

http://timeanddate.com/s/29hd

Tokyo midnight, Amsterdam/Oslo 17:00, London/Dublin 16:00, New Jersey/York 11:00, Kansas City 10:00, Seattle/San Francisco 08:00.

Chair of the meeting: Paul Cotton
Scribe: Joe Steele

(See the end of this email for dial-in and IRC info.)

== Agenda ==

1. Roll call, introductions and selection of scribe

2. Previous meeting minutes
http://www.w3.org/2012/08/21-html-media-minutes.html

3. Review of action items
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/
Status:  All open action items are later on the agenda.

4. Baseline documents and Bugzilla information

a) Encrypted Media Extensions editor's draft: 
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html
Status:  On Sep 1 this draft said it was a "work in progress"

b) Encrypted Media bugs: 
http://tinyurl.com/7tfambo  
Status on Sep 2: 18 bugs found.

5.  Action from the previous meeting

a) ACTION-2: Propose a resolution to bug 17673 (Mark W) due Aug 17
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/2 
[Bug 17673] New: Define Initialization Data for implementations that choose to support the ISO Base Media File Format
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17673
Status: The action is closed but the bug is not yet marked as RESOLVED.  See Mark's email:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2012Aug/0046.html 

b) ACTION-3: Propose resolution to bug 17682 (Adrian B) due Aug 31
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/3  
[Bug 17682] New: Clear Key: Document how keys and key IDs are associated
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17682
Status: Discussed in depth at Aug 21 meeting and Due Date extended to Aug 31

c) ACTION-4: Propose a solution for bug 17672 (David D) due Sep 4
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/4
[Bug 17672] New: Define Initialization Data for implementations that choose to support the WebM Container
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17672  
Status: Due Date extended to Sep 4 at Aug 21 meeting.
 
d) ACTION-5: Follow-up on Key Release mail thread now that the OO changes have been made - discuss on next call due Aug 28
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/5 
Re: [EME] Key Release
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2012Jul/0070.html

6. Encrypted media extension bugs with dispositions
Status:  Dispositions below provided by Editors as promised at Aug 21 meeting.  
We will touch on these and only discuss those where there is objection/questions about the disposition.

a) Bug 17286 - Add event handler attributes to IDL
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17286
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Added onneedkey EventHandler and updated the IDL syntax.

b) Bug 16542 - Clarify abstract about "No 'DRM' is added"
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16542 
Status: RESOLVED FIXED 
Updated abstract with clarifications.

c) Bug 16552 - Consider making needkey a simple event 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16552 
Status: RESOLVED WONTFIX
New object oriented design eliminates this possibility

d) Bug 17470 - Provide specific guidance on when generateKeyRequest should be called
 https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17470
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Believe sufficient information in the current draft

e) Bug 17658 - need procedure for selection of Key System 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17658
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME 
The design of the system if that the application knows the key systems
it supports and tries each in turn in the order of preference for the application.
Since we expect the number of supported systems to be small, we believe this is the
correct design.

f) Bug 17676 - needkey for all keys relative with a media file
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17676 
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME 
The design of the API doesn't require knowledge about the number of
keys to be exposed to JavaScript. A MediaKeySession object represents a set of
messages between the application and a license service and the data may contain
information for one or more keys.

g) Bug 17729 - suggest needKey report codecs+key system supported by the UA 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17729
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME - canPlayType is expected to work the current way. See also bug 17658.

h) Bug 16611 - Are reverse domain names sufficient for capability detection ? 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16611 
Status: RESOLVED WONTFIX
We're proposing to keep the key system strings limited to just describing the
CDM with optional versioning (see bug 16540). We should investigate a separate
capability detection system.

i) Bug 16615 - Support sharing of keys across media elements slaved to a MediaController 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16615 
Status: RESOLVED LATER 
We feel that adding support for MediaController is premature. We should make
sure we have the right design for HTMLMediaElement before we return to review how to
apply that design to MediaController.

j) Bug 17202 - Explicitly document how keys are to be shared 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17202 
Status: RESOLVED LATER 
See bug 16615. We want to delay considering MediaController.

k) Bug 16748 - Clarification of the "Process key" step, as well as xmlhttp.response handling.
 https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16748
Status: RESOVLED NEEDSINFO
We didn't really understand the purpose of this request. The encoding of
key exchange messages is CDM specific and may be encrypted, which would mean double
encryption if transported over HTTPS. However, we feel that follows from the design
and it's not clear to us what affect that has on the spec or why it should be mentioned.

l) Bug 16547 - Is there a use case for explicitly releasing keys? 
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16547 
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
The current design includes MediaKeySession.close(), which supports this.

7. Unresolved Encrypted media extension bugs
http://tinyurl.com/7tfambo   
Status: Most of these bugs have been assigned to an Editor to draft a disposition or proposal for each bug.

8. Other Business

9. Chair and Scribe for next meeting

10. Adjournment

== Dial-in and IRC Details ==

Zakim teleconference bridge:
   +1.617.761.6200, conference 63342 ("media")
https://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar#s_5366

Supplementary IRC chat (logged):
   #html-media on irc.w3.org port 6665 or port 80


Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329
Received on Sunday, 2 September 2012 18:00:18 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Sunday, 2 September 2012 18:00:19 GMT