Re: Hey HTML e-mailers!

From: SM <sm@resistor.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:59:44 -0700
To: public-html-mail@w3.org

At 07:28 10-09-2007, Gavin Brady Lynch wrote:
>I would like to point out that your position and the post on
>Campaign Monitor are not mutually exclusive points. Of course users
>want to open their inbox and be able to see a visually coherent
>email as originally designed. Likewise, I am sure marketers are wont to

It's the senders who would like to have their message appear as
originally designed.  The users make do with whatever mail client/web
interface they have as most are not prepared to pay the cost of the upgrade.

>The goals of better user protection and better message rendering are
>but two parts of the greater goal of increasing the effectiveness of
>the email experience, and both goals are obstacles we need to
>accommodate when necessary and eventually overcome when prudent.

Some marketers running campaigns for well-known companies format
their messages in such a way that it looks like phishing.  I guess
that some may view the message rendering as more important than user
protection.

Regards,
-sm