Re: No subset for email

From: Pierre Saslawsky <pierre@photobiker.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 16:11:05 -0800
To: public-html-mail@w3.org

On Mar 5, 2007, at 1:45 AM, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> Right. That's why CSS in email should be reliable. It's not, as of
> today.

I would find it a bit disturbing if the limitations and deficiencies
of the current implementations were the main rationale behind the
definition of an HTML subset for email. If we go down that path, then
why not define a safe HTML subset for "Regular Web Browsing" and
another one for "E-Commerce Transactions"? :-) The need for
reliability is at least as important there as it is for email.

> You forget one point : if one receives an HTML-based email and replies
> to that message in HTML, the original prose must be readable and its
> styles and look'n'feel should not impact the new text.

The handling of the quoted content was actually one of the points I
raised in my first email to this list. MUA providers (Yahoo, Google,
Thunderbird...) tag their quoted content with custom types or custom
classes. I'd love to see some standardization there. Same if we want
email clients to support forms and templates: several things might
have to be agreed upon amongst providers but I see them as extensions
of existing standards (or precisions regarding their application),
certainly not as subsets.

Pierre