Re: Un-Subscription worry and sensible approach to the matter

From: SM <sm@resistor.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:23:47 -0700
To: Erik Malm <chochocoo@gmail.com>, public-html-mail@w3.org

Hi Erik,
At 03:57 15-06-2007, Erik Malm wrote:
>If gmail, hotmail or thunderbird instead would have the option
>integrated somehow to 'unsubscribe from this email list' and only to
>be activated in certain cases of said lists to be in practice (not
>sure how that would work, but I assume this to be a technical
>question rather than a marketeers question).

There is already the List-Unsubscribe header defined in RFC
2369.  The MUA could keep track of the mailing lists the user is
subscribed to and display an "unsubscribe from this email list"
button when it displays a message received from the mailing list.

The list can be updated at subscription time when the user opts in to
the mailing list by replying to the subscription message.  This puts
the user in control instead of having some third-party tracking
"valid" mailing lists.

Regards,
-sm