Re: Safe subset for user contributed web contented

From: Alexey Feldgendler <alexeyf@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:09:02 +0100
To: public-html-mail@w3.org

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:54:20 +0100, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I don't know if this can be incorporated into the same initiative, but
> providing a safe subset for user contributed web contented could be very
> useful IMO, such as for forum posts and blog comments.

This is an interesting aspect, but I'm afraid that in this area there can't be common rules. If you look at the subsets of HTML that different blogging and other similar engines allow, you will find great variations. Some of them are dictated by security concerns (e.g. LiveJournal allows a carefully restricted subset of Flash objects to be embedded from sites like YouTube, while most others disallow these completely). Others depend on stylistic requirements: there are sites that allow great freedom in user-supplied formatting, while others require that user-submitted content generally fits into the visual style of the site, so its appearance shouldn't be modified too much with e.g. style attribute.

Also, some of such engines allow their own extra elements, such as LiveJournal's <lj user="name">.

--
Alexey Feldgendler <alexeyf@opera.com>