Re: <rb> as part of HTML5 ruby?

From: Dean Lee <xslidian@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 14:23:30 +0800
To: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Cc: public-html-ig-zh@w3.org
Hi, Makoto, *,

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 14:05, MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp> wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Let me introduce myself.  I am MURATA Makoto.  I am the
> coordinator of an internationalization subgroup of IDPF EPUB
> Working Group.  To be precise, this subgroup is named EGLS
> (Enhanced Global Language Support).
>
> I am writing this mail to solicit feedback about the support of
> ruby in HTML5.
>
> HTML5 supports ruby (or Zhuyin Fuhao).  One important
> difference between the ruby in HTML5 and that in
> "Ruby Annotation" (W3C Rec) is the rb (ruby base) element.
> HTML5 does not have it, while "Ruby Annotation" does.
> This issue is now being discussed in the HTML WG, and
> a co-chair (Paul Cotton) is soliciting proposals.
>
> In Japan, the rb element is used in, for example, in Yomiuri
> newspaper.  In China, is the rb element widely used?

It seems that commercial publishers in China have their own
standard for annotations, but web developers have been
figuring out solutions for the language a long time.

For example, @ethantw created a very useful CSS template
at http://ethantw.net/projects/han/ , which I think is a
preferred one.

> Kenny will explain more about this issue. I am looking
> forward to his summary of the upcoming discussions in
> this mailing list.
>
> Regards,
> Makoto

Best wishes & Happy holidays,