RE: [css3-text] Korean should be added to enable additional line breaking rule sets

Sangwhan, thank you for the feedback. However, I'm afraid to say that I didn't understand many of your points. Do you mind if I ask further clarifications?

> Especially, I find "normal" to be too strict, as this is something that will be executed for every single piece of
> CJK text that will be rendered from a implementation - I strongly believe that putting a potential performance
> degradation on the default property is overkill unless absolutely necessary.

This point doesn't look valid to me. The initial value is "auto", not "normal".

> As it is now, it's complex enough for UA vendors to not bother implementing this optional property.

Are you proposing to remove this property from the spec, to simplify the recommendation list, or to remove Korean from the list of languages?

It is optional as you said. If you don't believe it isn't worth to implement, you're free not to do so and still claim compliant to CSS Text Level 3.

If your product targets Japanese market, however, my personal recommendation is to implement this property. Japanese authors wanted sets of rules to switch between. CSS WG didn't want to change line breaking rules for ambiguous code points even when this property is set, so we had to add a filter by language, and here we're.

If I understand correctly, the needs to switch between sets of rules is much lower in C and K than in J, so I'm happy to remove Korean from the list if you wish. Products only for C/K may not even bother to implement this property as you said, but the value of this property still exists. Can you please let me know if you want Korean in the list or not? I heard from a Korean guy who wants Korean in the list. If you want it too, we're all good. If you don't, we probably need to resolve the conflict.

And can you explain what "ROC" and "CIG" mean?

Regards,
Koji