Re: Korean should default to word-break: keep-all or not?

From: Wonsuk Lee <wonsuk73@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 21:46:13 +0900
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: "HTML Korean Interest Group (public-html-ig-ko@w3.org)" <public-html-ig-ko@w3.org>, "CJK discussion (public-i18n-cjk@w3.org)" <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
Hi. Koji.
Thanks for email.

2012/5/5 Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone please help me to figure out an issue in CSS Text Level 3?
>
> The current CSS Text Level 3 has informative appendix for the default UA stylesheet[1], which contains:
>
> /* Korean prefers to break only at spaces */
> :root:lang(ko) {
>  word-break: keep-all;
> }
>
> The "word-break: keep-all"[2] disallows breaking between CJK characters and make line breaking rules just like English. Years ago I was told from my Korean colleague that Korean line breaking rules should be the same as English and CJ rules should not apply, so we put this. But Example 3 of UAX#14, 8.2 Examples of Customization[3] says:
>
>> Depending on the nature of the document, Korean either uses implicit
>> breaking around characters Space-based layout is common in magazines
>> and other informal documents with ragged margins, while books, with
>> both margins justified, use the other type, as it affords more line break
>> opportunities and therefore leads to better justification.
>
> If this behavior depends on documents, and most sites do not use "word-break: keep-all" today (as far as I observed quickly,) I guess it's probably wrong to put "word-break: keep-all" into the UA default stylesheet.
>
> I proposed removal of this to the www-style[4], but could someone please confirm if my understanding is correct?

Frankly I am not expert in this domain. So after got your email, I
closely looked at physical things like a Korean book, newspaper and
magazine. But all of these I checked doesn't seems to use word
separators and other explicit break opportunities.

Therefore I would like to see other opinions from experts of Korean
Interest Group.

best regards,
Wonsuk.

> Thank you for your support in advance.
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#default-stylesheet
> [2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#word-break
> [3] http://unicode.org/reports/tr14/#Examples
> [4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012May/0132.html
>
> Regards,
> Koji

   (Wonsuk, Lee) / Principal Engineer, Ph.D
SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS Co., LTD. (߲)
Mobile: +82-10-5800-3997
E-mail: wonsuk11.lee@samsung.com, wonsuk73@gmail.com
http://www.wonsuk73.com/, twitter: @wonsuk73
Inspire the World, Create the Future !!!