RE: Korean-specific CSS issues to be discussed

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 01:58:40 -0500
To: Sangwhan Moon <sangwhan.moon@hanmail.net>
CC: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kennyluck@w3.org>, HTML Korean Interest Group <public-html-ig-ko@w3.org>, ML public-i18n-core <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
> > [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunminjeongeum
>
> This is interesting to me. Could you mind to tell me what these dots on left of characters
> mean? Are they to help reading just like Ruby Annotation, or are they formatting staff like
> emphasis marks[1]? It looks like emphasis marks to me, but I see you use both single dot
> and double dots, which might mean different things.

I happened to find them in Unicode:

U+302E HANGUL SINGLE DOT TONE MARK
        = single dot Bangjeom
U+302F HANGUL DOUBLE DOT TONE MARK
        = double dot Bangjeom
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U3000.pdf

So they're tone marks, not emphasis marks, and you probably don't want to use the text-emphasis property[1] to render these marks.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#emphasis-marks

Regards,
Koji