From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Tab Atkins Jr.
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:48 AM
To: www-style list
Subject: [css3-lists] Published as WD!

The Lists module was just published as WD today, at
<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/>.  The previous WD was published *8
1/2* years ago.  Unless I get hit by a bus, we'll finish the process
to Rec in less time than that.  ^_^

A quick summary of the changes since the last WD:

1. Split the 'outside' value for list-style-position into two values,
'outside' and 'hanging', reflecting the two classes of outside
positioning that browsers actually do (Webkit and IE's behavior is
close to the new 'outside', while Firefox and Opera are close to the
new 'hanging').  'hanging' attaches the marker to the outside of the
text, while 'outside' attaches it to the box, and makes it draw some
things (like 'direction') from the parent element.

2. You can now specify a string as the value to 'list-style-type' to
use that as the list marker.

3. The 'inline' value for 'list-style-type' was added, alongside the
new (well, repurposed) 'marker' value for 'display'.  Using these in
concert makes the first element with display:marker use its text
contents as the marker value.  This is useful for documents where the
list marker is a vital part of the content, and so must be included
inline to ensure that it is displayed properly even when CSS is
missing.

4. The ::marker pseudoelement was defined, representing the list
marker.  It's treated similarly to ::before and ::after in that it
accepts all properties.

5. Most significantly, the @counter-style rule was added, to allow
authors to define their own counter styles.  As well, the giant list
of counter styles in the old WD was recast as @counter-style rules.

6. Processed a lot of corrections and feedback about the list of
predefined counter styles.

The module should be feature-complete now, so I'm primarily seeking
feedback on the new features.  Are they defined well?  Are there
holes?  Blatant mistakes?  I'm also interested in any feedback on the
predefined counter styles, as it's still very possible that there are
lingering mistakes I can't catch because I'm solely an English
speaker.

~TJ