From: ryosuke.niwa@gmail.com [mailto:ryosuke.niwa@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Ryosuke Niwa
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:30 AM
To: Koji Ishii
Cc: public-html-ig-jp@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-lists] CJK numbering algorithms

2011/4/22 Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
So what would you choose if possible options were:
1.      Fallback to “decimal” or “cjk-decimal” (or whatever else)
2.      Support negative numbers in the least strange way
3.      Display “#error” string just like MS Word does
Option 1 makes most sense to me because there's no obvious prefix for negative numbers in Japanese.

I think the option 2 works the best if we have to choose. If you can come up with other possible options, I’d be more than happy to know.

If we go with option 2, the negative sign is even more difficult choice. I think U+FF0D FULLWIDTH HYPHEN-MINUS would be the best choice for horizontal text flow, and is more common than “マイナス”, but it looks broken in vertical text flow.

I don't think this would be a problem if the entire number fell back to decimal; i.e. -1, -2, -3, etc...

- Ryosuke