Re: RDF 1.1 Lite Issue # 2: property vs rel

From: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:25:30 -0400
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Stéphane Corlosquet <scorlosquet@gmail.com>, Ramanathan V Guha <guha@google.com>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, HTML Data Task Force WG <public-html-data-tf@w3.org>, RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>

The question is how to determine the host language and RDFa version to use, not if to processes as XHTML+RDFA (xhtml1) or HTML+RDFa (html4 or html5). The RDFa version can also be specified in @version or doctype to be RDFa 1.0 or 1.1 and the absence of either defaults to RDFa 1.1. Host language is determined from mime type, or doctype if the content-type is text/html or application/xhtml+xml. For HTML content-types, if the doctype includes XHTML (1.0 or 1.1) it uses the XHTML+RDFA profile, otherwise HTML+RDFa.

>> Having different behavior for XHTML and HTML would lead to even more problems,
>
> I think the right way of dealing with XHTML and HTML is to define the
> processing on the document tree level and not checking the HTMLness
> flag (that reveals whether the document tree came form text/html or
> another source) at all. This is how the bulk of (X)HTML5 is defined.

RDFa is defined using a Core specification (RDFa Core 1.1) and host-language specification (HTML+RDFa, XHTML+RDFa, SVG+RDFa). Only XHTML+RDFa is defined by the RDFa WG HTML+RDFa is the provenience of the HTML WG. Thus the need to determine the host language, and the ability to define special processing rules for each host language.

Gregg