Re: Straw Poll (ISSUE-1)

On Oct 21, 2011, at 20:40 , Jeni Tennison wrote:

> All,
>
> This is a quick straw poll to gauge feeling in the group about whether/how microdata processors generating RDF should use vocabulary knowledge to generate appropriate/useful RDF. The options are:
>
> 1. all processors use the same (default) mapping for all vocabularies

That would be my preference

> 2. all processors use a default mapping for unknown vocabularies and a customised mapping for known vocabularies where the known vocabulary mappings are:
>    a. a pre-defined set of popular vocabularies
>    b. drawn from a registry
>    c. determined by resolving the vocabulary's schema

2c is a major burden on the implementations. I would try to avoid that. Implementation of 2b is complicated, though possible. 2a would lead to a beauty contest that would, on its turn, to lead to social issues, again, I would try to avoid that.

Ie, among those three, 2b seems to be the only viable approach for me, though not really clear how this would work. In practice.

> 3. different processors have different sets of mappings and must specify how they are set
>    a. all processors have the same default mapping for unknown vocabularies
>    b. processors must also specify what default mapping they use

3b would make the microdata->RDF mapping useless. 3a is the only acceptable option among these two.

> Please indicate which option(s) you prefer and which you can't live with.
>
> I'll pull together results on Tuesday morning UK time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeni
> --
> Jeni Tennison