Re: Straw Poll (ISSUE-1)

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:51:47 +0100
To: HTML Data Task Force WG <public-html-data-tf@w3.org>

On 21 Oct 2011, at 19:40, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> This is a quick straw poll to gauge feeling in the group about whether/how microdata processors generating RDF should use vocabulary knowledge to generate appropriate/useful RDF. The options are:
>
> 1. all processors use the same (default) mapping for all vocabularies
>
> 2. all processors use a default mapping for unknown vocabularies and a customised mapping for known vocabularies where the known vocabulary mappings are:
>    a. a pre-defined set of popular vocabularies
>    b. drawn from a registry
>    c. determined by resolving the vocabulary's schema
>
> 3. different processors have different sets of mappings and must specify how they are set
>    a. all processors have the same default mapping for unknown vocabularies
>    b. processors must also specify what default mapping they use
>
> Please indicate which option(s) you prefer and which you can't live with.

My vote:

I prefer 3a over 1 or 2 because this enables consumers to customise off-the-shelf processors for vocabularies they know about without doing any extra work such as registering those vocabularies. I prefer 3a over 3b because it gives some level of predictability about processor behaviour.

I can't live with 2c because it requires network connectivity, makes processing more complicated, and is an additional requirement on the vocabulary publisher which I think they will find burdensome.

Cheers,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison