Re: htmldata-ISSUE-1 (Microdata Vocabulary): Vocabulary specific parsing for Microdata

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:39:05 +0100
Cc: HTML Data Task Force WG <public-html-data-tf@w3.org>
To: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Ted,

On 21 Oct 2011, at 19:13, Edward O'Connor wrote:
> I think ISSUE-1 is based on a misunderstanding. The issue is titled
> "Vocabulary specific parsing for Microdata," which implies that the
> Microdata parser requires vocabulary knowledge to do its thing. This is
> not the case. The Microdata parsing algorithm is vocabulary-agnostic:
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/microdata.html#associating-names-with-items
>
> (Doing something useful with the data that comes out the other end does
> require some knowledge of the vocabulary's domain, but that's of course
> true of all data formats.)

The issue is about processing microdata *into an RDF model*. In that case, it's not clear cut whether the RDF should be generated based on some generic mapping (like that Hixie originally put together) or (somehow) be vocabulary aware so that it can generate more appropriate RDF for the vocabulary.

Cheers,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison