Re: Multiple itemtypes in microdata

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:57:46 +0000 (UTC)
To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
cc: public-html-data-tf@w3.org
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2011, at 08:17, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Oct 2011, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> >>
> >> Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything more.
> >
> > What software do these sites expect to have consume this data?
>

> Like I said:
>
> > There are dedicated consumers for some of these vocabularies -- in
> > particular the schema.org and data-vocabulary.org vocabularies are
> > used for rich snippets in search engines. But there are also generic
> > consumers of the data which use the types to aid people's searches.
> > For instance, Sindice [1] enables you to search for pages that contain
> > information about things of particular types. For example, you can
> > search for foaf:Documents on "HTML5":
> >
> > http://sindice.com/search?q=HTML5&nq=&fq=class%3Afoaf%3ADocument
> >
> > or schema:NewsArticles on "HTML5":
> >
> > http://sindice.com/search?q=HTML5&nq=&fq=class%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fschema.org%2FNewsArticle
>
> I expect that the sites are aiming to support both the dedicated
> consumers that recognise a single vocabulary and the general-purpose
> consumers that support users' search across multiple unconstrained
> vocabularies.

Surely nobody is seriously expecting random users to do searches
containing actual property URLs. That's a highly advanced feature for a
tiny subset of users, but it's not a real-world application. Also, for
software like that, what vocabulary is used isn't really relevant, since
it is blind to the semantics.

What I meant is what software consumes the non-schema.org vocabularies
specifically?