Re: Generating property URIs (Was: Re: URIs for properties at schema.org)

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 11:05:27 +0200
Cc: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com>, public-html-data-tf@w3.org
To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>

On Oct 15, 2011, at 22:13 , Jeni Tennison wrote:

> Gregg,
>
> On 15 Oct 2011, at 15:28, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
>> On Oct 15, 2011, at 6:46 AM, "Jeni Tennison" <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:
>> Yes that would be wrong. What I describe is a restatement of Hixie's procedure: the original type is inherited, by setting the *current type* which is passed in the evaluation context to the generate triples step for this purpose. See 6.2.4.
>

> I see it. I'm really very sorry, I should have read more closely! :(
>
> Have you given any thought to the handling of property URLs generated from non-HTTP-URL types? Hixie gave the examples [1]:
>
>> The URL is opaque, so "http://example.org/foo", "mailto:bar@invalid", and
>> "uuid:171d010f-9aea-4f4d-af9e-30758eeb221e" could all be types defined to
>> use the same vocabulary.
>
> I know that these are cases that are far removed from what people will actually do, but the mapping spec should really either handle them or explicitly say that they are out of scope and what the error behaviour is (eg no triples generated for items that use non-HTTP URI types / have types that don't share a namespace). Which way do you think we should go?

I think that if non HTTP URI-s appear as types, we are really forced to throw up our hands and say that we cannot deduce a proper vocabulary URI... To be more precise, we should probably just follow the HTTP approach and if it does not lead to any tangible new URI, we just take this as invalid. Ie,

uuid:171d010f-9aea-4f4d-af9e-30758eeb221e

would not yield any vocab URI, though

urn:bla:abcd/edf

would, namely

urn:bla:abcd/

(I am not sure whether that URI is valid, though:-)

Ivan

> Cheers,
>
> Jeni
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-data-tf/2011Oct/0100.html