Re: Data blocks, not marked up content

Martin,

I agree with the need for this.

The question that does arise is whether your applications were clearer if they could make use of a separate block in turtle (see the Turtle draft[1]) or whether the hidden data is more appropriate for you. Judging the cut-and-paste requirement I suspect your answer is the latter, but I think the question is worth asking.

Thanks

Ivan

[1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-turtle/index.html#in-html

On Oct 10, 2011, at 08:39 , Martin Hepp wrote:

> Hi Tom, all:
>
> A bit of background why we think that invisible markup is an important option for
>
> 1. non-trivial data structures, in particular if they
> 2. do not correspond to the organization of the visible content is here:
>
> Hepp, Martin; García, Roberto; Radinger, Andreas: RDF2RDFa: Turning RDF into Snippets for Copy-and-Paste, Technical Report TR-2009-01, 2009.
>
> A PDF is here: http://www.heppnetz.de/files/RDF2RDFa-TR.pdf
>
> This is even more important if you face messy, complicated HTML markup as in article detail pages, because the heuristics for dealing with RDFa in lax HTML are more reliable if the RDFa snippet itself is a self-contained block - e.g. forgotten closing elements cannot break the structure of the data.
>
> By the way, despite that Google discourages invisible markup officially, they ingest and display it, as long as it comes from an otherwise trustworthy page / domain name space. I have lots of examples for this ;)
>
> Best
>
> Martin
>
>> And to be clear: I did not advocate this. I am just saying that this is certainly an approach.
> Sure thing. I think it came from the fact that some CMS-es don't grant
> users enough edit rights, so adding invisible blocks was seen as an
> ugly, but valid hack to get the structured data out there. I _think_
> Martin Hepp coined the idea, but I am entirely unsure.
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Thomas Steiner, Research Scientist, Google Inc.
>
> http://blog.tomayac.com, http://twitter.com/tomayac

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153