Re: Data blocks, not marked up content

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> ... or using a style="display:none" with real content (for properties).

I don't think we want to advocate using display:none with real content.
There are concerns (valid or not) from a lot of Web developers that if you
include a lot of content on your page that has "display:none", that the
search engines will penalize you.

For example, here is a recent blog post criticizing
DISCUS<http://homebiss.blogspot.com/2011/09/disqus-display-none-google-panda.html>for
doing this.

> The microdata spec also allows, afaik, the <link> and <meta> elements in
> the body if used with microdata attributes. Which is a good approach. I
> would like to see that possibility extended to RDFa, too. The simplest
> approach would be to allow <link> and <meta> in the body in general. The
> RDFa processing model would handle those out of the box.
>
> Maybe this is a recommendation this group could make to HTML5

I strongly agree on this. It would be poor usability otherwise, because
there is no clear reason why one syntax should be different than the other
in this regard, from a content author's perspective.

-Lin