Re: JSON serialization

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 22:45:54 +0100
Cc: public-html-data-tf <public-html-data-tf@w3.org>
To: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com>
Thanks Gregg,

On 4 Oct 2011, at 00:14, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Jeni Tennison wrote:
>> Undoubtedly it will be useful to have JSON versions of the RDF extracted from the RDFa/microdata/microformats embedded within an HTML page. Assuming that we manage to get a good mapping from microdata to RDF (Gregg, I'm really hoping you'll take a lead on that),
>
> I can start be resurecting the Microdata-RDF bits and put them on the wiki. We can then add modifications we feel are necessary, such as the @itemprop token to URI generation. It could also be used to discuss other proposed changes, such as @itemdatatype.

It would be really great if you could do that. There's a placeholder page at [1] that you could use. Do start threads on any questions that you feel are controversial. I think there are a few people within this group who are interested in working on / implementing the mapping -- in particular Lin and Benjii spring to mind -- so I'd hope we could progress quickly on it.

> If we go Microdata->RDF->JSON-LD, there is a loss issue, depending on rules we decide for generating RDF from multi-valued properties. RDFa->RDF->JSON-LD wouldn't be so much of a problem.
>
> Alternatively, we can consider suggesting changes to the Microdata JSON format so that Microdata->JSON->RDF has full fidelity.

OK. Presumably the changes will become apparent as you flesh out the mapping rules?

> Describing Microdata->JSON-LD in terms of the existing processing rules would be pretty straightforward too.

I don't have any objection to that being done, it's only that we have a lot else to do too which I want to make sure we cover.

Cheers,

Jeni

[1]: http://www.w3.org/wiki/Mapping_Microdata_to_RDF
--