Values of extended (e-*) properties in microformats-2

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 18:45:07 +0000
Cc: HTML Data Task Force WG <public-html-data-tf@w3.org>
To: Tantek Çelik <tantek@tantek.com>
Tantek,

A quick question about microformats-2 processing. When you have an e-* property such as e-content, what exactly does the HTML string generated from the content of the appropriate element look like? I can see several options:

  1. the element.innerHTML [1] which will either be HTML or XML depending on whether the document is HTML or XML
  2. the HTML serialisation of the contents of the element [2]
  3. the XML serialisation of the contents of the element [3]
  4. the original characters between the start and end tag of the element (ie no DOM fixup)

Which of these does microformats-2 use or does it do something else? I ask because the RDFa WG are starting to discuss this a bit [4] and it would be great if microformats-2 and RDFa took the same approach if possible.

Thanks,

Jeni

[1] http://html5.org/specs/dom-parsing.html#innerhtml
[2] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-end.html#html-fragment-serialization-algorithm