Re: @itemid and URL properties in schema.org

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 19:44:33 +0100
To: public-html-data-tf@w3.org
On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 20:31:27 +0100, Jason Douglas
<jasondouglas@google.com> wrote:

>    - As few concepts as possible.  As Guha commented on a previous
> thread,
>    we've generally found that the more syntactical options given to
>    webmasters, the higher the error rate.  Not including itemid in the
> docs
>    meant we only had to talk about itemscope, itemtype, itemprop (and
> itemref).
>    - itemid as an attribute is a bit awkward in real-world markup as
>    there's no way to re-use the URL value of an existing anchor, which
> is a
>    very common use case.  You end up having to repeat the URL.

[...]

> So to throw a strawman out there, maybe we could:
>
>    1. State on schema.org that Thing/url is equivalent to itemid and
> either
>    is accepted.

If the goal is to have as few concepts as possible and itemid would be
equivalent to Thing/url, why not just outright disallow itemid? Otherwise,
you have two ways to express the same thing and also need to define
exactly how to process it. For example, is

itemid="http://url.to/a/thing">
   <link itemprop="url" href="http://url.to/b/thing">

equivalent to

   <link itemprop="url" href="http://url.to/a/thing">
   <!-- itemid overrides all url properties, as if they did not exist -->

,

   <link itemprop="url" href="http://url.to/a/thing">
   <!-- itemid considered the first url property -->
   <link itemprop="url" href="http://url.to/b/thing">

or

   <link itemprop="url" href="http://url.to/b/thing">
   <link itemprop="url" href="http://url.to/a/thing">
   <!-- itemid considered the last url property -->

?

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer