RE: [HTML5 CR 2012-12-17] Element command

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 14:50:32 +0000
To: Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de
Cc: public-html-comments@w3.org
Hi Olaf,

you wrote:

> Hello,
> I tried to understand the functionality of the element command and how to
> use it.
> It is noted
> 'The command element represents a command that the user can invoke.'
> But as far as I can see, it specifies no declarative method to identify the
> recipient of the command or how to specify the content or purpose of
> the command and how to invoke it declaratively (HTML5 currently seems
> not to have interactive declarative animations as for example SVG has,
> therefore not obvious, how to invoke any activity here at all).
> There is only an example with event handlers for scripts, but no
> declarative example how to use this for relevant content.
> Can anyone provide a meaningful declarative example,
> respectively how to provide an accessible alternative for
> a scripted use of such an empty element?
> Best wishes
> Olaf

Please note that the command element is a feature at risk in HTML5 [1] and
has been dropped from 5.1 and replaced by the menuitem [2] element. and
command[3] attribute

So I would suggest that it would be more worthwhile reviewing the latter.

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/HTML5.0AtRiskFeatures

with regards

Steve Faulkner