Re: HTML Feature Suggestion

On 16/04/13 21:59, Betty Shirley wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Why are HTML Frames deprecated?

They:-
;are contrary to the the basic concept of a "Web" composed of
individual pages
;are hard to bookmark
;don't render well in all browsers
;break accessibility
;are a pain to maintain
;tend to break navigation
;don't resize nicely

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34445

There is only one situation where I can justify using them (non-AJAX
frames) - and that's only because I've got no other choice (to load
content from another site on my site without it being too obvious to
visitors it's not my site).

> 2. What alternate do you recommend?

;Unique content
;DOM manipulation

> Discussion: I have been building an encyclopedia-style website for
> 12 years using frames: http://www.nhmountainhiking.com/ I
> recognize some frame-related issues, but believe I have addressed
> them. To me, deprecating this useful feature (frames) is like
> prohibiting high-performance cars because someone might speed
> carelessly.

Deprecating != Prohibiting

But it is *recommended* that cars designed for high speed racing
aren't used on roads where high speed racing is prohibited. If you
want to drive around with your race tuned Elf engine in first gear,
with plain rubber slicks and your suspension lowered to catch every
bump (and bottom out on speed bumps) - as long as the vehicle is
street legal, you can. :)

> Recommendation: Please consider re-approving frames in HTML 5,
> perhaps including a short paragraph with recommended use.

I can think of Google Maps and other similar AJAX frame inserts - not
that they don't/can't have issues.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say.