Re: uneven handling of issues

From: E.J. Zufelt <lists@zufelt.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:19:22 -0500
Cc: public-html-comments@w3.org
To: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>
On 2011-11-19, at 10:29 AM, Shelley Powers wrote:
> There are some changes that might help tame the chaos, especially for those of us on the outside looking in:
> First, stop posting the bug reports to the email list. Too many are garbage and clutter the list. And there are a significant number coming from kids who get a kick out of posting certain words and seeing them show up on the HTML WG email list.

> In line with this, remove the comment box from the spec. People should file comments through a formal system that requires a name--either this email list, the HTML WG email list, or Bugzilla. After all, how can you verify whether a bug fix resolves the bug requestor's concern if the bug was submitted anonymously via a comment box?
I am 100% in support of these two suggestions. Those who wish to follow bugzilla reports on the spec, I am including myself as one who wishes to do this, should subscribe separately to the bugzilla tracker.

I also see no rationale for allowing public anonymous comments on the spec. Without analyzing the data, my intuition is that the signal to noise ratio is close to 0.

> Second, is there anyway to post a difference annotation between the editor's draft and the Last Call document, so we can see the changes being made? If nothing else, perhaps a list of changes? Following the WHATWG twitter feed seems counter-intuitive, and forcing people to look at CVS or other logs may be all cool and geeky, but not particularly good communication.
No to mention that many of these other tools are not particularly accessible to persons with certain types of disabilities. A clear and concise list of differences would be quite useful.